The caravan just bought tickets! We’re three riders and we’ll be gone 22 November through 9 December. Here’s the route so far:
- Spend a day in Ho Chi Minh getting bikes.
- Ride out with the next day’s dawn and spend three days getting to Hoi An.
- Rest a day in Hoi An, then ride the corners and switchbacks of the Hai Van Pass.
- Ride to Ha Long city in however many days it takes.
- Hang out in Ha Long for a few days to explore the bay, lose the bikes, etc.
- Fly out of Hanoi for a couple days in Hong Kong, then fly home.
Here’s a picture of the Hai Van Pass so you’ll know why it gets its own bullet point (from gotravel-vietnam.com):
The route is flexible, on trips like these you end up adjusting it based of what you learn while you’re there. Along the way I plan to drink snake-bile vodka, burn off some taste buds with the local peppers, and crack open a coconut for a friend who’ll be back in the states.
See you in Southeast Asia!